Thursday, June 16, 2011

Glitter Bombed!!!

It has happened again. Another public figure has gotten glitter-bombed. The first time I heard this happen, it was to Newt Gingrich. This time, Tim Pawlenty during a book signing. He was glitter-bombed by a woman who was yelling at him over his stances on woman's reproductive rights and LGBT equality. For anyone who doesn't know, Pawlenty is a Republican, the former governor of Minnesota and is currently running for the GOP nomination for president. Among other things he is pro-life and anti-gay equality.

When I heard about the glitter-bombing, my first thought was to laugh. The entire concept of glitter-bombing just sounds funny. I thought about it for a little bit, and my opinion changed somewhat. Now I think that the whole glitter-bombing thing is counter-productive. While it is at least a nonviolent form of protest, I just think it makes the people doing it look a little crazy, even if their cause is one that I agree with. Thus I think that the glitter-bombers are doing a disservice to themselves and their cause. There is video of the incident below, and I have to say that the woman's yelling makes the entire situation worse.

Don't get me wrong, I have zero sympathy for Pawlenty or Gingrich, recent glitter-bomb victims. I am adamantly opposed to their views in many ways. Besides which, it's not like they were actually hurt. However, I don't believe that glitter-bombing, or anything of that sort, will do anything to change peoples' minds on gay rights or anything else...except in the wrong direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment