Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lowlights & Highlights: March 17, 2012


First, HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!! I hope everyone has fun, but be responsible folks.

Second, I completely forgot to do this last week. I'll try to get in the groove of doing this on a weekly basis. Now onto this week's stories.

Lowlight

I would have to say it was the Dharun Ravi trial which had the verdict read on Friday. Don't get me wrong, it's not because I disagreed with the verdict, especially since he was found guilty on most of the charges. The reason is that this reminded me of this whole anti-gay bullying (and bullying in general) thing and the far-too-many suicides that result. No matter what Ravi's sentence ends up being, Tyler Clementi can't be brought back, and Ravi's sentence will never compare to the pain suffered by Tyler, his friends, and his family. Some wounds can't be healed, you just learn to live with the scars.

Highlight

Granted this video was posted on YouTube in February, but it just came to my attention this week. As someone who has been through a similar scenario (who hasn't had a thing for someone they couldn't have, gay or straight?), I could relate. It may seem like a bit of a downer, but wait until you get to the end. The end was a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment