Sunday, June 9, 2013

Prince Harry, the Hero

From the Daily Mail
A gay soldier told last night how Prince Harry bravely rescued him from a terrifying homophobic attack by squaddies from a rival regiment. 
The Prince stepped in to save Trooper James Wharton after he was confronted by six soldiers threatening to ‘batter’ him. 
Trooper Wharton fled to find Harry – who was his tank commander – and tearfully told the Prince what had happened. 
‘I told him, “I think I’m going to be murdered by the infantry.” I climbed into the turret and talked Harry through exactly what had happened. He had a complete look of bewilderment on his face. 
‘I couldn’t stop the tears from welling up in my eyes. He said, “Right I’m going to sort this s*** out once and for all.”

'He climbed out of the tank and I poked my head out of the turret a few moments later to see him having a go,’ Wharton said.
~
After taking on the gang, Harry briefed a senior officer before returning to assure Wharton the situation had been ‘sorted’. 
The soldier, who quit the Army earlier this year, said: ‘I will always be grateful to Harry and I will never forget what happened. Until he went over and dealt with everything I was on track for a battering.’ 
The remarkable incident reinforces the view of Harry as an officer with unfailing commitment to the troops under his command.
There is a LOT more to this article, which gives a good deal of insight into Prince Harry and his time in the British military. It was a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment