Thursday, June 27, 2013

Why Do Some People Hate Love?

Last night I was watching a YouTube video of two men in New York City: Billy and Pat. They were celebrating their fourth year of being a couple. It just so happened that their anniversary fell on the same day that the Supreme Court struck down the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act." This ruling was extra special for them as they are engaged to be married this December. As you can imagine, they were quite elated (champagne was involved). As I was watching the video I definitely felt the joy they expressed...as evidenced by the stupid grin that was plastered on my face. I was happy for them. 


Then, a rather sad thought struck me. I thought that even as this couple is deliriously happy, as are many others across the nation because of the Supreme Court's rulings in the two marriage equality cases, there are other people who are lamenting this spread of freedom. Instead of celebrating and rejoicing in the joy of others, they predict the fall of western civilization. No, I am not being hyperbolic, some of them are literally saying that marriage equality will cause society's collapse...because people of the same gender sometimes love each other and they are not being ostracized enough by the law.

I look at this couple and not only am I happy for them, but I see the kind of relationship that I want in the future (oh who am I kidding, I want it now). It is a beautiful thing. I find it difficult to fathom what goes through the mind of someone who sees two people who are genuinely in love and all they see is something bad, ugly, icky, and evil. What does it say about someone when they actively seek to discriminate against their fellow man? What does it say about someone who so adamantly and unapologetically hates love like this?

While there is a lot of good in this world, there is also a lot of bad and it would be easy to let that get you down. If you find someone that makes the bad parts bearable and makes the good parts even better, you hold on to them and never let go no matter what the haters say. Congrats to all the Billies and Pats of America. Hopefully one day soon I will find Mr. Right and we can get hitched too (maybe even here in Virginia). Stay happy!

You can follow Billy and Pat on their journey to their December nuptials YouTube and Twitter:

No comments:

Post a Comment