Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Religious Wrong: Only Christians Can Graduate


Arizona is throwing its hat into the theocracy ring. Arizona House Bill 2467 states the following: 
Beginning in the 2013‑2014 school year, In addition to fulfilling the course of study and assessment requirements prescribed in this chapter, before a pupil is allowed to graduate from a public high school in this state, the principal or head teacher of the school shall verify in writing that the pupil has recited the following oath:

I, _________, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge these duties; So help me God.
Though I'm a Christian, I'm a firm believer in the separation of church and state (for the benefit of both) as prescribed by Thomas Jefferson and the establishment clause of the first amendment to the United States Constitution. This law is a crystal clear violation of that Constitution that has very little chance of withstanding a court challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment